ROOTAS Colombia is an immersive travel experience for Latin-Jewish young adults living in Los Angeles. Brought to you by Jewtina y Co. and NuRoots, this cohort experience will bring together a diverse group of people to learn, explore, and connect with Colombian culture, history and peoplehood.
WHO CAN JOIN?
This trip is for:
- Young adults living in Los Angeles that identify as Latin and Jewish and are between 21-45 years of age.
- Individuals that are eager to immerse themselves in Colombian culture.
- Lovers of Jewish diasporic history and peoplehood.
- Curious souls ready to learn and have their perspectives expanded
WHAT IS THE COST?
Thanks to the generosity of our funders and partnership with NuRoots, the cost of the ROOTAS Colombia trip is $750. This highly subsidized cost includes accommodations, meals and in-country transportation. The cost does not include flights or spending money.
Day 1 - Tuesday: Arrival in Bogota
- Meet group in Bogota residence.
- Enjoy a welcome dinner and orientation with the group.
Day 2 - Wednesday: Intro to Colombia
- Start the day with a guided city tour of Bogota, visiting prominent landmarks like the historic La Candelaria neighborhood, Plaza de Bolivar, and the Gold Museum.
- Join a hands-on cooking class to learn about Colombian cuisine, its diverse flavors, and culinary traditions.
- Prepare and enjoy a delicious meal together with the group.
- Afternoon free to visit the Botero Museum, explore the vibrant street art scene, or indulge in shopping at local markets for souvenirs and crafts.
- Meet Jewish young adults in Colombia.
Day 3 - Thursday: Jewish Colombia
- Embark on a guided Jewish heritage tour, exploring the history and contributions of the Jewish community in Bogota.
- Visit the Sephardic Synagogue and the Museo Judío de Colombia to gain insights into the Jewish peoplehood in Colombia.
- Enjoy a traditional Colombian lunch with local delicacies.
- Participate in an interactive workshop about Jewish Colombia.
Day 4 - Friday: Travel to Cartagena
- Check out from the hotel in Bogota and transfer to the airport for a flight to Cartagena.
- Arrive in Cartagena and transfer to residence.
- Take a guided city tour of Cartagena, exploring its UNESCO World Heritage-listed Old Town, including the charming streets, colorful colonial architecture, and historical sites like the Castillo San Felipe de Barajas.
- Shabbat as a group.
Day 5 - Saturday: Jewish Heritage in Cartagena and Free Time
- Embark on a walking tour of Old Cartagena.
- Learn about the Afro-Colombian journey and the impact of Afro-Colombian culture today.
- Afternoon free for personal exploration, relaxation, or explore the lively streets of Cartagena or relax by the beach.
- Closing dinner at Carribean restaurant.
Day 6 - Sunday: Departure
- Enjoy a leisurely breakfast at the hotel.
- Transfer to the airport for departure.
*Please note that this itinerary is subject change.